Wednesday 21 April 2010

The best 250 songs of the noughties: 250-226

Fuck I've put myself right in it. I gave myself a target of 100. But then when it came to it I had 600 songs that I thought were all worthy of inclusion. I've spent any free time in December and January writing this or continuing my Lost rewatch in the run up to the finale in February. It might be why this blog disapeared for about 2-3 months to be honest. Don't worry though, after all this is done and dusted, I'll get right back to the HNM10 comp which is brimming with songs currently, and just needs a bit of trimming. Let's get on with it then shall we? Part one of 10... or 12.


250. Jimmy Eat World - Hear You Me
This has obviously been a brilliant decade for music, as this is an incredible song, and it’s this low on the list! It’s so small, yet immensely powerful. Listen

249. Fightstar - Phalahniuk’s Laughter (Out Swimming In The Flood)
It’s just that bloody riff. It’s a superstar. Fightstar have put out some crackin’ singles this decade but this one, their first since the busted split, really surprised and impressed me. Listen

248. Fall Out Boy - This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race
Whether you think he said “Owl Stealer” or “Bowl Reaper” it’s impossible to deny this song’s charm, and sheer pop fun. Listen

247. Guillemots - Trains To Brazil
I almost left this one out, due to my annoyance with their debut album being utter bollocks, but I couldn’t deny this amazing song entry into this list, it’s just too damn wonderful. Listen

246. Editors – Bullets
Really, Editors are a band it took me a long time to get into, but if any song was the reason for me changing my mind on them, it’s this one. It’s a powerhouse of superpowers, harnessed in 3 minutes of music. Video

245. Cartel - Burn This City
These guys busted out 2 albums this decade, and when they made Chroma, it may have turned out that they were at the top of their game as their second was piss poor. However, this song shows just how good the top of their game is. Listen

244. Bullet For My Valentine - 4 Words (To Choke Upon)
Ah, B4MV. You had a very niche style, but when it worked, it was impossible to deny the sheer pop-metal genius that was at work. This song showed just what they could do when they weren’t fucking about. “Oh! It was water all along!” Video

243. Bomb The Music Industry! - 25!
Sir, you are the best man in the world. The man behind BTMI! Is Jeff Rosenstock, and he is a one-man genius. Whether it’s ‘Get Warmer’ or ‘Scrambles’ or anything else this moniker does, it’s brilliant and it’s free. You can’t ask for more. You can? A Physical copy too?! Don’t say he’s not good to you. Listen/Download

242. Bloc Party - Blue Light (Engineers Anti-Gravity Mix)
Know how I know you’re gay? You heard this in The O.C. Engineers takes a good song, and make it a great song. It’s a rare thing for a remix to be better than the original, but this achieves it. Listen

241. At the Drive-In - One Armed Scissor
Released right on the opening of the decade, you’d be forgiven for thinking this was much older, and wiser. It’s a song that keeps on giving, and loves you as much as you love it. It’s a behemoth of huge proportions, and cannot be denied. Listen

240. 30 Seconds To Mars - The Kill
Many people can slag this band, and to a point, they’d be right to. However, sometimes a band that are very easily slagged for being rubbish, can still write a song or two that just impress more than you could think. This is that song. It’s a choon. Video

239. Timbaland - Give It To Me (Feat Nelly Furtado & Justin Timberlake)
Dude, Timbaland is a fucking genius hip-hop producer. Now it’s obvious that the same skills work in pop, with this Nelly and Justin collaboration blowing the roof off the dancefloor, but never being too loud to enjoy anywhere. Video

238. Dan Le Sac VS Scroobius Pip - Thou Shalt Always Kill
This song always kills, whether it’s the perfect script of words that any sane person will agree with but that pretty much hasn’t ever been said. The ‘Just a band’ speech is perfectly anti-name dropping and the beats bring the whole thing home to the dancefloor it so easily rips to shreds. It’s perfect, and it’s a shame I haven’t seen it on more lists. Video

237. The Snake The Cross The Crown - The Great American Smokeout
It’s lovely, it’s sweet, it’s light, it’s got a warm tone that cannot be denied and I love this band. What more could you want? Download

236. System Of A Down - Radio/Video
This is a great band, and this is one of the songs that made the Mesmerize album entirely valid and worthwhile. It’s well put together and it’s fun without ever parodying itself, and it was obviously was one of the more interesting songs to record on the album. The Greek speed up at the end is inspired and makes the song. Listen

235. Sum 41 - Fat Lip
When this decade started, I was 12. There’s no way I could let myself get away with not putting this song on here. It’s an immensely fun pop record and Sum 41 were perfect at bringing a sense of Beastie Boys to Pop Punk. Not really an element that the genre was lacking, but it certainly made it more interesting for a while. Listen

234. The Spinto Band - Oh Mandy
Unfortunately, I think pretty much everything else this band has put out has been piss poor. It’s unfortunate, because this song is so full of delight and wonder that I wish they sounded like this at all times. It’s a quaint little song that never gets too heavy, but never goes right over the kitschy line. Perfect. Video

233. Prizzy Prizzy Please - Too Many T-Shirts
I would never have discovered this song, and this band, if it weren’t for Hear New Music. I’m so happy that I started the blog, and even if no-one else ever downloaded the mix tapes, it’s still worth it to find gems like this one. It’s chaotic, it’s manic, it’s fun as hell, and it explodes from the first second to the very last with energy and love for the craft. Listen

232. OK Go - Get Over It
Before they were responsible for probably the best video of the decade, OK Go brought out this utter gem, that I loved from the first time I heard it. I came back from school, flicked on MTV2, and bathed in the glowly light of OK Go’s superb video and song mixture. I live for that little jump at 1:55. Listen

231. Nikola Sarcevic - Lovetrap
This song is just too nice. Well, maybe not entirely nice, considering the lyrics, but in every other way. Sarcevic literally tears his lungs out for the final few lines and you can tell it’s really personal. “It's all over now, we lost our love somehow, you left through that door, you'll never come back here no more.” I love it. Video

230. New Mexican Disaster Squad – Tightrope
It’s just a good fucking song. They blow right out the door with a booming opening and never loose the fire from moment one. It’s a great song, by a great band, and the production is super, with the bass coming out on top form at all times. Listen/Download

229. Operator Please - Just A Song About Ping Pong
I’m a bit gutted for these kids. I have yet to see this song on a songs of the decade list, and I don’t know why! It’s perfectly booming with lyrical flow and great energy and the intelligence of teenagers, which is hard to best as soon as you’re not one. But I suppose, it’s just a song about Ping Pong! Video

228. The Hives - T.H.E.H.I.V.E.S.
If you’d said to me when ‘Your New Favourite Band’ first came out, that The Hives would write anything other that fast punk music for the rest of their lives, I wouldn’t have believed you. However, when ‘The Black And White Album’ rolled around I was pleasantly surprised to hear this utter gem flow out of my stereo and creep up to being the best damn thing on the album. It’s a fantastic song, and they’re a fantastic band. Listen

227. Muse - Time Is Running Out
When it first came out, I was entranced in the bass line and clicking fingers, and suitably rocked out by the chorus. On further listen, I proclaimed it to be the best thing they’d ever written. And on even further listen, I’d proclaim it to be really fucking good, but not quite as good as that other one. Listen

226. Arctic Monkeys – Brianstorm
I don’t like the Arctic Monkeys much. The music is alright, but it’s not great. So I was surprised to find myself tapping my toe along to Brianstorm on first listen. Even more surprised, I was rocking out by the second one. It’s an undeniably fantastic song. You can’t deny it. Hence “undeniably.” You love it and you know you do, so stop saying you don’t.


Part two as soon as I can folks!
Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment