Wednesday 21 April 2010

The best 250 songs of the noughties: 40-31

40. Dizzee Rascal - Fix Up, Look Sharp
OI! It’s bass drum, snare and Dizzee for 90% of the song. It shows Dizzee’s skeleton bare and it was the perfect introduction for his career. Anything more that needs said can be found in the song.




39. Dragonforce - Through The Fire And Flames
If there was one song in the Noughties that instantly made me smile whenever it was on, it was this. Completely over the top EVERYTHING is all that Dragonforce seem to know how to do, and most of the time it’s wasted on me and I don’t feel anything when I hear it. However, something in this song clicked with my ears and everything is right with the world when I hear it. Maybe it’s that parts of the it sound like the Sonic The Hedgehog soundtrack. Maybe it’s the duelling solo. Maybe it’s the over the top vocals. Maybe it’s everything about it being so ridiculously perfect? That has to be it. They’re still shit though.

38. Machine Head – Imperium
This could be the best metal album intro of all time. Seriously. Stick it on. Tell me I’m wrong. I’m not and you know it. I’ve had many a wonderful night listening to this album with mates all around me not talking for a full 6 minutes and 40 seconds because we’re all just that enthused by it. It’s so ferocious and so bloody brutal that you just have to sit up and take notice. If you haven’t done it yet, get to it, ya nugget.

37. Iron And Wine - Such Great Heights (The Postal Service Cover)
It’s odd when covers come to close to, or surpasses, the effect and brilliance of the original. This cover is one of those very songs. Iron and Wine’s version of ‘Such Great Heights’ is just an incredible and loving and caring cover that you’d be a fool to deny it’s power. To take the original to a new place and make it work this well is a feat to be highly commended. Well done, sir. [No video for this'n, hence the squidgy box below.]

36. Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
What a way for a band to shoot themselves into the public eye. It’s an absolutely incredible song that can be called nothing other than such. It’s ferocious and raw, it’s edgy, and it fist pumps right into yer baws. Perfect.




35. Maybeshewill - Not For Want Of Trying
This is an insanely good song by a wonderfully awesome band. Maybeshewill peaked my interest when they brought out ‘Not For Want Of Trying’, and the song that peaked my interest on that album was this absolute belter of a tune. It’s got everything that makes 65daysofstatic work (post-rock elements with heavy guitars and samples) but with it’s own ferocious feeling dousing the entire experience. Using the famous speech from the film ‘Network’ is also a touch of genius and if it weren’t there, the song would only be three quarters as affecting as it is with it. [Again, no video, hence squidgy box.]

34. Colour Of Fire - Italics
Maybe I’m hearing things that other people can’t. I don’t know anyone who knows about this band that didn’t find out about them from me. Their singular album was a sure-fire stunner from start to finish, with ‘Italics’ as its leader. It’s a brilliantly written rock song with lyrics and vocals better than any other band in that bracket. It’s entirely unfortunate that C.O.F. called it a day after only one album, and a real shame that more people haven’t heard their brilliant songs.

33. Cursive - Staying Alive
This epic ten-minute album closer from ‘The Ugly Organ’ is simply one of the greatest experiences any human being can hope to experience. Every single time I listen to this song, my heart skips a beat and my entire head fills with emotion. Personally, I think it’s one of the greatest pieces of music ever released. It’s not exactly technical, it’s not breaking any boundaries, and it’s messy in places; but that’s why it’s so damn incredible. It may be a tad zombie-ish because of the lyrics, but if there is one song I need played at my funeral, it’s this. It’s so full of power and so wonderfully executed that I’m it makes me think about so many emotional times in my life and really tugs every heartstring in my body. I love this song with every fibre of my being.

32. The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist
Wow. What an incredible song. Made up entirely of sound bites from old movies, ‘Frontier Psychiatrist’ almost sounds like a nightmare on paper. However, the results are just incredible.




31. The Stills - Gender Bombs
This is just an inspiring, hugely affecting song. When I first listened to this album I was walking about Troon after a wedding, and it perfectly matched the night sky and the refection of the stars upon the sea. It’s a wonderful song that matched and perfectly captured a wonderful night. It’s perfectly indie and perfectly warm. I love it.


More soon, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment